Tuesday, December 9, 2014

The Procedure

Today didn't start out like I planned. I woke up late and that seemed to set in motion the rest of the day going off track. I was glad that my mom showed up early to watch the girls and my friend, who is also a surrogate, was early as well. We talked the whole way down to the doctor's about everything. The amniocentesis, why the need for this, understanding the IPs point of view and how I was feeling. Once we got there we didn't have to wait to long to be called back to the room. The genetic counselor came in and explained that she had spoken with the IM in detail the day before and did explain the risk of preterm birth at this point in pregnancy is very high with this procedure. She also said that it would be completely up to the doctor if he could do the procedure our not. It really depended on the size of the babies.
When she was done the doctor came in and explained all the same. The look of concern on his face worried me. You could tell it wasn't in his ability to do the amniocentesis, but in the risk factors with this procedure. With twins you are  already high risk. Amniocentesis done at the 17 weeks will increase the risk of preterm labor. But to throw all of that together, including being further along, could cause the girls to come sooner and have a long stay in the NICU. Hearing those facts was very nerve wracking. After explaining all the details, he did an ultrasound to look at the girls, measure them and make sure he knows what area he would be putting the needle in. 
It's interesting, on Friday they were head down, but today they were both head up. They both looked great as per the usual.  Then it was time to collect the samples. Being that there are two babies and they need to make sure they collect from each sac, they have to find away to mark one of the babies. So first they collected a sample from Twin B. When the put the needle in it stung a bit. I felt some pressure when the sample was collected. After that they got the blue dye and added it in to the babies sac. The blue dye helps them so that when they collect from the other baby, Twin A, if the fluid they pull out is blue then they are in the wrong sac. When that one was done I was thinking about the next prick I would feel, but knew it wouldn't be that bad.
I was wrong.
When the doctor found the spot for Twin A and inserted the needle, my uterus contracted. It was extremely painful as well and I wanted to grab on to the nurses arm. The doctor decided to remove the needle and find another location on my belly. Of course the area that was good for him is my sensitive spot on my stomach. I did some deep breathing to help me relax. The doctor asked if I felt like I was going to faint, I told him no. When he was ready, he let me know he was going to put the needle in again. This time it wasn't as bad. It still hurt, but not as bad as last time. The doctor took out a small sample of fluid and it was clear! So this meant he was successful in getting Twin A's sample. As I watched him pull out the amniotic fluid I was relieved knowing it was all over. He then pulled out the needle and had me roll on to my left side for a few mins. He checked with me to see if I was having any cramping, but I wasn't.  He told me how amazing I did and to make sure I rest over the next 24 hours. Then light activity for the remainder of the week.
My friend was there the whole time and let me squeeze her hand through it all. I tried not to squeeze to tight and she said I never did. She took me to get an Oreo cookie shake after and drive me home. My stomach is sore and I have had a few contractions / Braxton Hicks. But staying hydrated and resting otherwise. I pray that the results come back negative, and we find birth girls completely healthy! We should know the preliminary results by Thursday.
What an experience.
Also here is a picture of my belly and the three injections they had to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment